Coverstitch Hemmer (Amber air S|600, Huskylock S21, S25)
The Coverstitch hemmer attachment is used to turn under 1 inch (25mm) of fabric, creating a perfectly straight hem without the need for lots of pressing.
Recommended fabric: Woven (light and medium) fabrics and Stretch (light and medium) fabrics.
1. Set the machine for coverstitch either wide, narrow or triple with stitch length 3.0. Place the attachment plate on the machine. Place the two screws in the opening and screw the attachment plate in place.
2. Place the hemmer on the attachment plate and adjust the hemmer to the far right. Secure the hemmer in place with the two thumb screws and washers.
3. Fold under a 1inch (25mm) hem of fabric and finger press the first few inches in place.
4. Slide the fabric right side up into the hemmer from the right-hand side so that the hem curls under the attachment.
5. Raise the presser foot and pull the fabric under the foot and straight back 1-2” (2-3cm) behind the needle. Lower the presser foot and turn the hand wheel to make a few stitches to secure the stitching in the fabric.
6. Sew a few stitches to see if the coverstitch is in desired position. To change the stitch position, loosen the thumb screws and move the hemmer the left to reach the desired needle position. Test sew a sample before sewing your project.
7. Keep the fabric turned under when feeding into the attachment to ensure the fabric will roll under when sewing.
Tips & Hints
1. If free-arm is available on machine, it will make sewing a continuous / circular hem even easier
2. Increase the stitch length up to 4.0 if you have heavier fabric or when crossing a seam.
3. When crossing a seam give the fabric some extra help when it feeds through the hemmer guide.